AO: Eagles Landing
Number of Pax: 9
Pax Names: Alliance, Cutter, Footloose, Kipling, Madoff, RA, Rancid, Sheriff,
Number of FNGS: 0
Clear 52-degree morning, and a SE 4MPH breeze…or so AccuWeather tells me.
- 20 SSH (4ct)
- Cobra stretch (10ct)
- 10 Daisy pickers (4ct)
- Calf stretch (2 reps of a 5ct hold per leg)
- Hamstring stretch (2 reps of a 5ct hold per leg)
Run to Barrie Park/Hill
- Backwards run ascending the hill, forward job descending the hill (2 repetitions or up, down, up, down)
- Once finished with ascending/descending, side shuffle the baselines of the soccer pitch, and backward running the sidelines of the soccer pitch.
- Rinse. Repeat.
- I brought the added bonus of a red strength band which I started with, was to be worn around the ankles for the purpose of added resistance, and passed along to each PAX for 3 minutes of fun per PAX.
Fire pit tonight for all PAX/significant others at off of Cuyler/Roosevelt.
Inspired by a number of things, I opted concoct this thing. I explained that I had a trip recently to visit my bio family. It wasn’t all bad, and it was relationally and emotionally exhausting. #WeArentACloseFamilyAndTheresSomeNotSoGoodStuffThatHappened. Long story short: it was familiar and hard with an occasional curve ball.
That’s backwards running. It’s familiar in the sense that it’s running but it’s not a go-to typically. For me, it’s hard. It uses way different muscles than standard issue running. The red strength band represented the occasional curve ball.
As a workout, my point, per usual, was to do something to challenge both the fast people (you jerks know who you are) and us, um, running challenged folks. (Un)fortunately, I just finished the documentary “The Barkley Marathons,” had a no-so-great trip to see my bio family, been for multiple hikes in CO. I had some weird ideas, and backwards running took shape.
But the actual purpose of this workout was to represent that we all are going to face something that feels familiar but is juuuuuuuuust annoying enough to not let us feel efficient, fast, cover as much as we’d like, look a certain type of way, or, or, or, or … Worse still, something seemingly unexpected might happen (hello red strength band adding continued resistance to legs) in conjunction WITH a familiar feeling, thought, or action. I ended it by saying that my wife was integral in offering a probably more healthy perspective which helped me to continue being honest with myself (this shit is hard) and pushing forward and leaning into health (this shit is hard, and I’m grateful for *fill in the blank* or find a reliable sounding board, all while trying to do the next right thing).