AO: The Main Event
Number of Pax: 11
Pax Names: A-Aron, Bodie, BROTHER BLUTO, Denari, Grace, Redick, Slick Back, Smails, Terps, Undercover Brother,
Number of FNGS: 1
FNG Names: Pong
F3 Q 4.29.22 – Friday Fun Day – Basketball Q
*Sublime Playlist in honor of 30 year anniversary of their song April 29,1992 (Shout out to Brother Bluto for giving the idea for the playlist).
Jog to the basketball court
- Stretch hamstrings
- 25 side straddle hops
- Down + back / backwards run / karaoke / side shuffle x 2
- Planks – 2 min
- Burpees x 10
- Mountain Climbers – 30 seconds
- LBC’s OYO – 30 seconds
- Merkins – 1 min
4 on 4 BASKETBALL! – 30 min
Humility – recently our division moved under a new department as a part of a re-org at the company so I have a new boss now who is our Head of Marketing. We get along and I definitely respect him, but we’ve butted heads a little bit in the past. Anyway, he’s come in and started inspecting how the team is run and making suggestions on improvements for certain things. And my IMMEDIATE reaction is to think “dude, you’ve never managed a sales team before, you have managed less years than me, and you’re coming in with no real knowledge of what we do and telling me how to improve?” That’s my visceral response. But, after reflection on the topic there’s a few things that come to mind:
- He’s doing his job – as my direct report, it’s his job to inspect and see what we are doing.
- We are on the same team – our team does better, we all do better.
- His suggestions are valid – even though we’ve butted heads, the suggestions he’s made are actually improving my training / onboarding process for example. He’s smart and I know that, but I’m just naturally resistant sometimes to change.
So, my COT today is around humility in all facets of life. It can be with your wife where you NEED to win an argument. It can be with your kids when you’re saying “I’M RIGHT BECAUSE I’M THE ADULT.” It can be at work based off what I just described. Take a step back, think about the intention of the other person and put your ego aside.
The bible has over 100 verses using a version of the word “humble” and has many more pointing out the issues with “pride.” A verse from Ephesisans is below:
Ephesians 4:2 says, “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”